Monday, June 18, 2007

Blueberry Pie!

Purple

So I decided to try a new pie this weekend. I wanted to use blueberries and lemon curd, and I wanted it all to be baked. Blueberries and lemon curd seem to be a popular mix, but every recipe I found used fresh blueberries and had a curd that was cooked on the stove, cooled overnight, then glopped into the cooked pie crust. Not what I wanted.

My mental image was a lemon curd pie with no signs of blueberry until you cut in and found a narrow band of blueberries just on top of the crust...hidden under the lemon goodness. So the plan was to bake the blueberries with the crust for 20 minutes, then add the lemon and eggs on top and bake for another 20 minutes or so until the curd set.

Blueberries first

And that's what I did. I also pureed a handful of blueberries to marble in with the lemon curd.

I learned several things while I was making this pie...

What goes in.

First: Blueberries float. When you add the (still-liquid) lemon and eggs, the half-baked blueberries floated to the top of the mixture.

Almost gone.

Second: Pureed blueberries and lemony eggs don't have enough density to marble. They just combine.

Third: Blueberries are TART! I was so happy about that actually. I was really afraid that they'd go all sweet on me, but the combo of lemon and blueberry created the tartest tart I've ever had. AWESOME!

In the end, the pie was great. It didn't look anything like what I thought it would, but as far as taste, it was just what I wanted.

1 comment:

Sara said...

it was a delicious pie! mm mmm...let's enjoy again!